Saturday, September 18, 2010

raft races, toilet seats and last place

Today my daughter and I went to the 28th annual Homosassa River Raft Race. My dad and his friend just found out about this contest last weekend. I thought it was pretty weird that this thing has been going on for 28 years and this is the first time we have heard about it, but anyway they decided to give it their all. They made their raft a plumber's boat and build it from PVC pipe, plastic wrap, duct tape and toilet seats. It was truly a sight to behold. They tested it out in the neighbor's pool to be sure it would float.

Then they made their final improvements and headed up to the race. Well, they came in pretty much dead last, way behind the other "non mechanical" rafts. But they kept on racing and finished the course. When my daughter said "why don't they just stop because they lost", I explained that just because you come in last sometimes, doesn't mean that you don't keep trying. It just wouldn't be the same experience if they didn't finish what they came to do, whether coming in first place or last place. Besides, they lost the race to Batman and Robin. Come on kid, they have superpowers!

No comments:

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!