Monday, July 11, 2011

What I like about ME!

Why is it so hard for me, probably most women, to do this?  Where did my confidence go?  Well, I guess I can't say where did my confidence go, because I don't think I ever had too much.  Most people don't know that about me, but I guess most women try to hide their lack of confidence.  Maybe we would be much kinder to each other if we knew that everyone we looked at feels the same way that we do!  Anyhow, I think where I stand at this point in my life, my confidence is better than it's ever been, and things that used to sort of embarrass me have become things I am rather proud of.  So, on that note, here is my list:
1. My ability to tell a good, funny story. 
2. My sense of adventure- usually how I get my good funny stories!  When I was very young I would not do anything on my own, but now my motto has become "It will either be a good time or a good story" and I will try out anything!
3.  That I am sensitive.  I used to hate how often I burst into tears- angry, sad, commercials.  Now I know that my tears show how much I care and love, not that I am a silly girl.
4.  My big green eyes.  When I was younger they leaned more toward hazel, but now they are truly green.  I love green eyes!
5.  My intelligence.  Always learning, always google-ing, always reading.  No, it does not make me a nerd- it makes me smart and that is beautiful : )
6.  That I am a born teacher.  To my daughter and to my students.  My daughter is so smart, and since I have raised her alone, I know it is mostly from me- reading to her, pointing out the names of flowers, birds, practicing times tables even over the summer!  The other day this guy found a huge alligator snapping turtle and some kids (and of course, me) ran over to check it out and I ended up telling the kids all about it, how they have a little appendage under their tongue to attract fish and then, SNAP!
7. My athletic body.  Sure I may not look like a supermodel, or even a plus size model, but I can hike and swim and jog and even think I have some pretty hot legs.
8. I am a great cook.  Even if my daughter does not appreciate it AT ALL.  I took cooking lessons when I first moved out of my parents house.  (I think they were afraid that I was going to starve!)  It gave me great confidence.  Also, growing up, my mom cooked a family dinner nearly every night and that probably has something to do with my skills as well!
9.  I have a green thumb!  In the past few years, I have gotten really good at gardening.  My garden has given us squash, cilantro, basil, strawberries, tomatoes and eggplant.  I have also grown bananas!
10.  I am strong.  A few months ago I lost my best friend, my buddy, my dad.  But my faith hasn't faltered.  I have not fallen to pieces.  I miss him terribly but I can make it through.  I am a single mom.  I am a middle school teacher.  If I can make it through that, I can survive anything!
Click on this link to participate in C.Mom's "Things I like about me" blog hop or for more information!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have issues with my confidence too so I really appreciated this post. Look at all those amazing things you are great at!! You are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Amy I have to agree with your comments about yourself, you are all of those things! Seriously, I've always thought you had great legs.

Stephanie @ dial m for minky said...

Okay your motto? Rocks my face off. It'll either be a good time or a good story. Love it.

Jackie said...

I love your motto too! I am the person who is afraid of doing anything adventurous. I should really think like you!

Elena Sonnino said...

What a fab list!! And as a teacher, I am going with the fact that you need to be sensitive to be a natural teacher (or that is what I tell myself at least!) :) Thanks so much for linking up!

Galit Breen said...

Fantastic list! I can so relate to the sensitivity one and am happy to see it here! :)

Jenna said...

a great list!! I loved getting to know you better, and your list helped inspire my own post that I linked up. I read four or five the other day and yours was one of them. Thank you for sharing what you love about you!

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!