Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cold Weather, Frisky Kids and the Horse Whisperer

For those of you who don't know, I am a middle school teacher- brave I know, but I love it. So, I was in the office at the mailboxes yesterday, and someone commented that the kids were kind of wild, and another person said that it must be the cold weather. So I shouted out that I thought the kids were acting like little horses who get frisky in cold weather. For example, they sing spontaneous songs, try out random dance moves, or just fall out of the chair in a sudden burst of energy. Today one of my classes played "pass the cough" during their quiet work time. Usually I nip it in the bud, but today I sat and watched for a minute. This is how it went: a boy on one side of the room quietly clears his throat. Then a boy on the other side clears his throat. Then it goes to someone new, or back to the first one. Meanwhile, I look at two more boys who are giggling in their chairs and trying not to bust out laughing and ruin it. Now, the teacher goes wrong if she yells at them to stop it, because then the coughing kids say "what, I was just coughing?!" At this point you must approach the frisky horse carefully, get down on their level, and whisper quietly to them "do you think I am stupid?" This tames them and enables them to complete their work. It is supposed to be so cold here Friday that it might even snow. Can't wait to see what they will try to get away with next!

No comments:

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!