Thursday, March 24, 2011

American Girl dolls and Cabbage Patch Kids


Every month or two for the past year, I have gotten an American Girl catalog, and not thinking too much of it, I have handed them over to my daughter to look at- unknowingly feeding a new obsession- The American Girl Doll. Apparently, she has been saving all the catalogs and circling the dolls, clothes and accessories that she wants to buy. Two days before her birthday, she mentioned offhandedly that she would like one of these dolls for a present. I laughed and said, "wow, you better save your money". Why did I day that? Because, THESE DOLLS COST A HUNDRED DOLLARS! And apparently, all the little girls have American Girl meetings at the library, and they would know it if you had a fake one. When I was my daughter's age, I had the same obsession with Cabbage Patch Kids, so I can understand where she is coming from. I once stood in line at the toy store for an hour waiting for a shipment of the dolls to come in and they were handing them out to customers straight from the shipping boxes. You could spot a fake one a mile away. Anyway, by some miracle, she managed to get 100 bucks saved up from her birthday party and her piggy bank, and the other night, she brought it to me and told me to "order me a Kit Kittredge doll". She had decided that was the doll that most resembled her, and she couldn't wait to order one up, so I did. Everyday after school this week, I could barely get the car parked before she was running out to check the mailbox. Finally, TODAY IT CAME! She was so excited, and ran into the house to open the box. When she got her out of the box, she hugged her, looked up at me and said, "now what?" Um, you play with her?!

2 comments:

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Love the housekeeper idea! Several teachers that I teach with do that also! They love it! I really might need to look into that!
I love your blog! I love this post about the AG doll! Very cute! :)

ReadyOrNot said...

Thanks so much Alicia! I love your blog too! You have such great ideas : )

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!