Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday, Baby Cakes and Lent

For those of you not raised Catholic, Lent is the 40 days before Easter in which Christians are supposed to prepare for Easter by repenting and confessing their sins. That is why Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday are the day before Ash Wednesday. So that after you party and eat lots of cake with babies in it, you can buckle down and get ready for Jesus. Traditionally, Catholics and other Christians go to church on Ash Wednesday and then give up something for Lent. When I was a little girl, it was usually meat on Fridays and candy. Now that I am older and know a little more about what's what, I know that rather than giving up candy or meat, you should choose to do something (or not do something) to help you to get closer to God. Something like attending church every week of Lent until Easter or reading the bible for 10 minutes each night would be a good place to start. Last year I decided that I would only listen to Christian music. So, I pre-set the Christian radio stations into my car radio and ordered a few CD's by Christian artists such as Beckah Shae, Manafest, KJ 52 and Francesca Battistelli and have still been listening to mostly Christian music even now. So, this year for Lent I decided to do a random act of kindness for one person each day, along with my daughter's help. Also, I have asked each girl in my bible study to choose a short study to complete on their own, and we will get together after Easter to discuss what we learned. I have chosen to finish Me, Myself and Lies by Jennifer Rothschild and then Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel. Last, I want to try to treat my body more like a temple. And temples like vegetables. I want to eat at least one vegetable every day. So if you have any good recipes for vegetables, feel free to perform a random act of kindness and send it my way! Happy Lent!

No comments:

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!