Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hiking, hiking, hiking!

 On our vacation out west, we went on a fantastic hike.  We hiked down the Supai trail and into the Havasupai Village which is an Indian village down the side of a mountain near the Grand Canyon.  According to the Havasu website, the village, also known as Supai, has been home to the Havasupai Indians for many centuries. As time evolved the village has grown with many homes sprouting and taking root in areas where there used to be only farmlands. The village boasts a small café, lodge, post office, school, church, clinic, police station, and a general store. 
It was an 8 mile hike down a mountain and along a dry river bed to get to the village.  My daughter did so well hiking, never whined at all, and we went with 9 other friends and family members.  We did not start out until about 9:30, definitely not recommended in summer, and arrived in the village at 4:30.  When we finally got near the village, we were so hot and miserable, but we could hear water rushing by and we all ran and jumped in an ice cold river!  That definitely helped us to hike the last mile to the lodge where we were staying!  We ate in the cafe and then hit the sack.  
The next morning we hiked about 4 more miles (round trip) to Navaho Falls, Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls.  You can swim in the waterfalls and it was absolutely beautiful and the water was so refreshing on such a hot afternoon!  Their campground is beautiful too, right beside the river, however I was so thankful for the air conditioning and bed at the lodge!
The next day we were leaving, and we did not want to make the same mistake hiking out in the heat of the day, so we left at 3:00 in the morning.  It was still dark and was beautiful hiking through the canyons at night with the full moon hanging over the cliffs.  It only took us 5 hours going out and I was so glad that I did it!  I think that my dad would be so proud of me, it was his final wishes for my family to go there because he was so impressed with the beauty there.  We definitely were too!

6 comments:

annies home said...

new follower of yours come find me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

What a beautiful place! I would love to do something like this my family, thanks for the tip about hiking in and out early!

Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice said...

Gorgeous. I can't believe the kids did so well--few adults can handle an 8 mile hike--well done!

Dropping by from Sunday Funday. Congrats on having such a fabulous trip.

Melissa said...

That looks like an amazing experience! 3 am sounds hard, but I bet it was so worth it :) What great memories!

Glad I found your blog through Super Stalker Sunday blog hop :) Following you via GFC!

Blessings,
Melissa
www.sistersncloth.com

Kindred Adventures said...

What beautiful pictures. I love your combination of history lesson and story of your journey. How adventurous of all of you to try such a feat! How much fun it must have been. Your daughter will never forget this experience!!! -Laverne from kindredadventures.blogspot.com visiting (late) from Sunday Funday

Carri said...

Beautiful pictures!

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!