Here are a few tips to make hiking with kids easier:
1) Bring a Camelback or other type of backpack that holds water in it for you and your child. Then, use a carabiner to hook a smaller water or energy drink to your child's belt or backpack.
2) Fix a small, light backpack for your child to carry. Include a flash light and special snacks just for them such as apples, peanut butter and dried fruit.
3) Spray bottles! Fill spray bottles with water for your child to spray themselves (or others!) when it gets hot.
4) Take lots of breaks!
5) Let them choose a special hat to wear.
6) These bandanas were awesome! You soak them in water and they stay cool!
7) Get them special hiking shoes and socks and be sure they wear them ahead of time to break them in.
8) Give your child a disposable camera, or even their own camera to take their own pictures with. The Bean is an awesome camera for kids!
9) Laminate a trail map and let your child mark the route you are traveling with a dry erase marker.