Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tomatillos and Yummy Soup Recipe

I saw this recipe (click the colored words for link) in Cooking Light Magazine and thought to myself, "I don't know what a tomatillo is, but dang that looks good!"
 I was talking to my mom on the phone as I was dicing up the tomatillos and telling her about the soup I was going to make and she said, "that sounds gross and I bet your little miss picky won't eat that.  I don't think any kid would eat it".  I said "well, I am going to give her cereal for dinner and if it turns out gross, I guess that is what I will eat too". 

You see, sometimes you just have to try something new.  I tend to cook the same 5 meals over and over again, so I am always looking for an interesting new dish to change things up.  My great Aunt Mary used to say, "there is always the garbage can!"  So I like to keep that as my cooking mantra too- well, that and "there is always cereal!"

This is how I made my version of the soup:
I took 3 small tomatillos chopped + 1 and 1/2 avocados + 1/4 large container of College Inn coconut curry chicken broth and put it in my cup for my immersion blender.  (EVERYONE needs one of these!)
Then I poured it in a saucepan set on low heat, added another 1/4 container of coconut broth, 1/2 container of crab claw meat and poured in 1/3 container of heavy cream (I know it defeats the purpose of "Cooking Light", but I didn't have buttermilk!)  I sprinkled it with Old Bay seasoning to taste. 

Guess what?!  It was delicious!  And miss picky even had a spoon of it!  (Then had a bowl of cereal!)

2 comments:

Carina said...

Sounds interesting! It might have to dig myself up some tomatillos and try it too. :)

Camille said...

This sounds yummy! What a fun blog! Found you on the Blog Hop and I am happy that I did! I am excited to see what you do next. :) I am your newest follower and I would love to have you follow back if you want!
Camille @
http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!