Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ha, Ha, I have tricked my kid!!!

I have tricked my daughter into not being bored this summer!!!  
Wanna know how?  
Each day this week, I have laid some sort of activity out on my kitchen counter!  I pulled a few stools up to the counter so she can sit around and explore whatever is there while I am cooking, and I can join in when I have a minute.   In all of the cleaning of her room, I have unearthed all kinds of cool toys and craft things! 
I started out a few days ago with a 100 piece puzzle.  I dumped it out and started assembling some of the edges (just can't help myself!) and as soon as she walked into the room, she plopped down at the counter and finished it! (Time to find a puzzle with more pieces!)
Yesterday, I put out a giant poster to color and her new organized art caddy inspired from HERE!  

Tonight I put out some seashells and a low temp hot glue gun and we glued ourselves silly!

Tomorrow, I plan to put out a container of legos, and the next day a barbie clothing designer kit.

I think this is a great way to keep your kids from boredom over the summer!  
The key is to put out things that you wouldn't mind playing along with them for a few minutes, and put it out in a central location which will catch their interest!  
Let me know if you try out my boredom busting idea!
As a side note, I actually do this in my classroom too.  I have a table where I will put out a puzzle, challenge or activity and just let the kids hang out there to explore when their work is complete.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found the same techniques work with my girls (and in my classroom too!) I love having a puzzle at the back table - the kids really get into it! I'm a new follower :)

Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Great idea and how fun!! You'll be one of the features tomorrow! Thank you so much for linking up!

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!