Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Something FUN to do this summer!

If you are looking for something fun to do this summer, you should try GEOCACHING!  It is very fun to do with your kids (or without them!).  Geocaching is described as "a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game where players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences online".
Here is a short video to better explain it:
So, basically there are 3 steps involoved: 
Step One- Go to the website, www.geocaching.com and sign up for free.  Browse for a geocache by zipcode or key-word and enter the coordinates into a GPS.  I have a Magellan handheld that I got for about 75 dollars at Best Buy.
 
Step Two- Go find the the geocache.  Bring a small prize to trade if you want to!  Sign the log and leave the cache as you found it.
Step Three- Log back into the website, www.geocaching.com and record that you found the cache.  The website keeps track of how many you find!

One thing that we do is to get the coordinates for all of the caches from a nearby park or trail, and then head out and see how many we can find!  Such fun!
I see it!  Do you?

Got it!

My BFF found one too!

4 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

I had forgotten about this, thank you so much for linking up and reminding me! How fun!

J Rodney said...

I've wanted to do this for so long, it sounds like so much fun.

Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I hope you’ll stop by to link up your favorite blog post this week as well.

Unknown said...

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Your post is featured tonight at Sun Scholars! Stop by to grab your A++ button, and share some more of your amazing ideas with us at For the Kids Fridays!

http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

Becky said...

I love geocaching! Found you on Sun Scholars and have featured you on my blog Scout-Mom. Here is the lnk http://www.scout-mom.com/2011/07/blog-love-wednesday-6.html

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!