Monday, July 25, 2011

Making a Magnetic Chalkboard Wall

Doesn't the title of this post sound so easy- "Making a Magnetic Chalkboard Wall".  I looked at a few other lovely blogs for inspiration and then decided that this would be something I could handle.  I thought it would take a few hours, slap some paint up and BANG, we would be in business!  Hmmm.  Check it out:
Step One: Tape the wall.  Ok, done!
Step Two: Put on Magnetic Paint- three thin layers- why is it still so sticky??? oh, well it is probably fine... move to next step.
Step Three: Put chalkboard paint on wall, two layers.  Hmmm.  Why is nothing sticking to this thing???  


Step Four:  Read instructions on sides of cans (one has paint on it!?)  Call friend for support.  Friend suggests call 800 number on side of can- GREAT IDEA!  They pick up right away- amazing. 
Operator:  "Did you stir the paint?"  
Me:  "Of course!" Grab paint stirrer and "OMG, this stuff is supposed to be thick?!"  
Operator:  "Yes, you should use 1/3 of the can".  
Me:  "But I already painted the chalkboard paint over it!!!"  
Operator: "Yes ma'am (since when am I a ma'am?!), I understand.  You will have to sand the wall and start again"  
Me: "But I hate sanding almost as much as I hate ironing."  
Operator: "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"  
Me: "Wanna come sand my wall?"   
 Step 5: Sand Wall, Apply magnetic paint (stirred well this time!).  Apply chalkboard paint.  Allow to dry 24 hours.  Rub all over with chalk, then erase!  


Step 6: Peel off tape.  Uh,oh paint snuck under the tape.  Hmmm.  I know, paint a gold frame around chalkboard.
Step 7: Hot glue a jewel, and ledge to make it pretty for a little princess!

6 comments:

Maillardville Manor said...

LOVE IT! What a great Idea to use magnetic paint!!!
Great Job!
Lots of Love
Ashli

Cami said...

Visiting from Wednesday Window!

Thanks for the great tip..I love it. SO PRETTY :)

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life Life

Sarah said...

Awesome idea!!! I've been wanting to do something with chalkboard paint for a while, and this is adorable!

Controlling My Chaos said...

I'm sorry for your pain. That looks like a big hassle you went through. It turned out great though.

Anonymous said...

I love the magnetic chalkboard paint! I can't wait to own a home and be able to create a space for my princess too!
I am a new follower of yours, thanks to Super Stalker Sunday Blog Hop!

jelly andrews said...

I love how it turned out. But not the steps of how you do it. It seems that this DIY project really needs patience. All the sanding and repainting seems very tedious. But I guess it all paid off because it comes out really great.

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!