Thursday, April 14, 2011

tourists and powdered sugar cookies

Today I was a tourist.  I drove to Tarpon Springs with my daughter, walked around all the shops, the sponge docks and had a Greek lunch.  I have always loved Tarpon Springs, not only because of the traditional sponge diving tour you can take, and the yearly dive for the cross during epiphany, but also because of all the kitchy stuff you can find in the gift shops, like alligator heads, Florida t-shirts, name keychains, evil eye pendants, sponges, olive oil soaps and seashells.  We had a delicious lunch of chicken souvlaki and flaming cheese, OPA!, and a cheeseburger and fries (um, how Greek!)  We got sunburned walking around browsing, and bought goodies to bring home from the bakery.  I bought some of those lovely powdered sugar cookies, and ate one in the car while I was driving home with the air conditioner on, and was covered in powdered sugar and sticky for the rest of the drive. It may have been one of the best cookies I have ever had in my life.  We also got a new pet there, which I will discuss in a whole other post.  Needless to say, we did not read two books about how to care for this pet before riding home in the car with it, and I think I got suckered in to a little more than I bargained for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those cookies are the best thing about being Greek. I'm sure your car camera captured your image for prosperity;)

ReadyOrNot said...

They sure will laugh when they pull that video! I still had powdered sugar on me this morning : )

Gotta click here once a day to vote for me!

Gotta Join Me!

Check Out My Awards!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Can't Get Enough of This Blog!